The Charleston Carnegie Public Library is one of the 1,689 libraries that Andrew Carnegie funded across the United States with his vast income obtained in the steel industry in the early 19th century. Carnegie's funds helped to open the building near the courthouse square on January 15, 1904. North & South additions were constructed in the 1960s and in 2008, a two-story addition to the west of the existing building. The new $7 million addition matches the Carnegie style. Following the expansion, the 1904 building was renovated while retaining many original features, including wood trim, coffered ceilings, and fireplaces.